June 27, 2011

The key to freedom




It's an ugly little house.  Light blue painted wood siding with electric blue trim.  The entire house would fit in the first floor of the house I live in now.

I'm leaving behind the granite countertops (I agonized over choosing the right color) and stainless steel appliances  (top of the line, of course) and just signed a lease on this new, old place. 

In less than a week, I will turn the key in the front door and call this little ugly place home.  The first time I have lived alone in twelve years. 

The first time in twelve years that I will be able to make my own decisions, and live freely and openly, without the guise of straight, white, suburban housewife.

Sometimes the little bitch called self-doubt chimes in with her two cents:  You must be crazy to walk away--what are you doing??

...but then I think of that key, and I know I'm doing the right thing, even if it feels like severing a piece of my heart that I will never get back.

Suburbia never agreed with me anyway.

7 comments:

  1. Big hug for you.

    Courage is the power to let go of the familiar. ~Raymond Lindquist

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!! You are letting go of a facade that is no longer serving you, no granite countertops in the world are worth that!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are awesome!!!!! So proud of you!!!!! You ugly little house will feel like a castle with all the freedom that comes with it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing.

    Good for you to escape suburbia, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HUGS to you! Ugly house, that will be housing a beautiful soul within it, one that is growing and shining brightly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can do this. I agree with onmyway - the "ugly" house only houses the beautiful inside. What a beautiful metaphor for life, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know it's scary, but I am so happy for you! This is such a huge step, it takes so much courage to do what you're doing. I hope that soon maybe I can take that step and find my own ugly, little house. :) Congrats, Sassy!

    ReplyDelete