January 27, 2011

When one door closes...



I set out to find new friends since my old friends hadn't spoken to me in months.  Yes, folks, even in 2010, and even in Seattle, a grown woman can lose all of her friends just by coming out.

These people were not just my neighbors.  We spent holidays together, drove each other to the emergency room with bleeding appendages, watched their children while they went on vacation. 

My ex-husband and I were about to name one couple as guardians of our children in the event that we died together.

But none of that mattered when it came right down to it.



I could just hear the Desperate Housewives sneering at me as I walked my dog down Wisteria Lane, "Ooooh, there goes the scary lesbian!"


Bitches.


Anyway, in my quest to start feeling like less of a freak, I had to find other queer girls to hang with.  So I joined this local lesbian networking website, kind of like Facebook for Seattle dykes.


I made some awesome new friends, but I didn't pay too much attention to the site since I was in a relationship.



On the very same night my ex-girlfriend screamed at me and hung up on me, I received a witty email from an adorable woman.  Here's what she wrote:

Hi there, Sassy.

If you have time in your busy schedule as mom and Superwoman to putter around and do something like eating, walking, or pretty much anything on the spectrum between lazy and adventurous, give a holler.

I will have to look at my own superhero schedule (some people call me Dani the Superwonderful). But, I tend to be flexible as a result of being dutiful towards my commitment to not work too hard!"

Two days later, I was on the ferry going to meet her for coffee/brunch thing. I deliberately picked the day where she had plans later so if it was a total bomb I wouldn't have to stay too long.


She was about 15 minutes late and a mixture of annoyance combined with relief accompanied the thought that I was being stood up.  But then I saw her walking across the street and the first thing I thought was, oh. my. god, she's gorgeous!  Then I thought this:




Mmmmmm. 

Dani walked up to me and gave me a huge bear hug, like we were already friends.  I liked her instantly.  She had super-short hair and the most stunning blue-gray eyes.  To top it all off, she had a kick-ass little body AND she smelled great.  Mmmmmm indeed.

We ate at a little French bistro (my suggestion) and drank mimosas.  Champagne before noon--could this date get any better?!  I smiled and leaned forward across the table.

Both being from the East Coast, we had no shortage of topics to discuss.  She explained that she moved out to Seattle for a relationship that recently ended, and wasn't "ready to date yet."

But here you sit across the table from me.  Whatevs. 

We walked all over the city for hours.  She laughed at my jokes and made fun of my antique flip phone.  I had to restrain myself from continually smelling her neck.

Dani drove me back to the ferry terminal, and I said, "We should take a picture of us together.  Just because you never know the significance someone will have in your life."

Kim Coronel

I smirked the whole way home.  Damn, that was fun.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a perfect first date! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. That line? Because you never know the significance someone will have in your life. That is so awesome, so true, and I so love the way this woman thinks! And, BTW, you find the best pictures to illustrate your posts, they add so much to the telling. Wanna hear from anyone who would be brave enough to wear that T-shirt in real life....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw man, I KNOW that neck smell. It is fully intoxicating. And those eyes! That look, and the smile and witty humor to go with it. CRAP! Run for the hills!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog. I will be featuring it on www.thelesbianlifestyle.com the second half of February. Keep writing.... stories like yours need to be read!!!! And there are SO MANY women out there like you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be your friend...all the way from Chicago.

    ReplyDelete