April 11, 2011

My mother is an evil cow

My mother came flew across the country to help my ex-husband with the kids while I was in Italy.


Wasn't that nice of her?


Except that she used that time to pick a side [not mine] and talk shit about me to my own children.

To my soon-to-be ex-husband she said, "Just so you know, I'm not happy with what she is doing, and I am very concerned."




Wait.  Hold up.

What I'm doing?

When will people realize it's not what I'm doing but who I am?

Not a disease I will recover from, nor a phase I'm just trying out.  I'm not going crazy, not experiencing a second adolescence, not rebelling against society in general.


My mother repeatedly asked my 15 year-old daugther how she is "holding up" and talked all kinds of smack about me. Apparently what she was saying was pretty bad because my daughter was crying to me saying, "That's how she feels, Mom, that's not how I feel."

As my friend Berna says, "I would call you a cunt but that would imply a warmth and depth that you do not have."

Goddamn her.

6 comments:

  1. Seriously, that is the best joke I have heard in ages, perhaps, ever. God bless you for standing strong in who you are. Gotta cut the umbilical cord sooner or later. Just like in a real birth, it's messy. But hey, babies can't walk around with it their whole lives, just like we can't. It's all good. PS Love the crazy granny with the gun. Scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I love that saying.

    Mothers feel like they have the right to voice their opinions about anything and everything in their children's lives. The problem is that we (the children) grow up in everyway EXCEPT with our parents. (Can you tell that I also have Opinionated Mommy Syndrome?)

    Just keep doing what you're doing. If your kids are fine, you're happy and the the ex can deal - you're doing something right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yuck, Im sorry! Just stay true to yourself, don't let her bigotry and rigid views get to you. It sounds like your kids love and understand you and you love and understand you, that is what is important!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there... Time heals all wounds.. Sometimes people dont know how to handle their own insecurities and use angry words toward the situation instead of directly with the person they have problems with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE that joke.

    My mother is the same way about my coming out (still). She doesn't understand why I won't talk to her after she called me a "f-ing queer." I feel more kinship to older lesbians in that way, because so many of my young friends had great / not-too-bad coming out experiences with their parents.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If it was April 1st, I would think you're making this up. Didn't you say she had a very calm and understanding reaction at first?
    She is allowed to have her own opinions, but she is not allowed to be destructive with your children. Never know, one of them could be gay "just like mom". And even if they were not. She is obviously upsetting your daughter more than you ever have.
    I so DON'T understand grandmothers. I don't. Hope by the time it's my turn, I won't turn into that crazy one on the picture!!!

    ReplyDelete